Sunday, March 4, 2012

Transplant Update: Noticeable Miracles

I am, by nature, not a very emotional person. I usually only cry when watching football movies. But today has been a kind of emotional day. I have been able to feel the love and support that has been radiating my way from many corners of the country today, and the fact that I know so many people are pulling for me is overwhelming and incredible.

Today as I sat in church, awed by the feeling of love I felt when I walked into the chapel, I reviewed in my mind the series of miracles that has happened so far to get us to this point. I am going to list them now because I want all 11 of you who read this blog to truly comprehend that is will be a miracle kidney.

  1. I've been working since June 2011 to get into the IHC transplant program. For one reason after another, it was taking forever to get my wait time transferred. When the U. program called us about the paired exchange it became clear to me why it hadn't happened yet, especially when the fact that IMC is currently suspending their participation in the paired exchange is considered.
  2. I had an antigen in my blood that was really rare. It was making it extremely difficult for me to match with any potential donors. Between December and January transplant blood draws, that antigen disappeared. 
  3. My PRA is currently 99. That means I match with 1 out of every 100  people. 
  4. I was diagnosed with yet another staph infection at the same time we got light of the kidney offer through the paired donor exchange. This is the sort of thing that can derail a transplant. My medical team pulled and replaced my catheter, confident that was where the infection lay. My latest blood cultures (so far) show no growth, meaning I do not have an active infection.
  5. On Wednesday I went to transplant clinic. They needed me to have some blood drawn in the lab. That is equal to squeezing blood from a stone. But the girl in the lab managed to get all 7 vials of blood from me with one stick. And it didn't take a hundred years to fill all those vials either. 
  6. On Friday I had to have a stress test done. Because I don't quite have the physical stamina to complete the treadmill stress test, they needed an IV to give me the medicine that makes my heart race. IVs are not my friends. The EKG tech called the Pic Team and they were open and available to come place and IV on me. Usually, it takes a long time, but they were down in Clinic 10 and sticking my arm in 10 minutes. The very best part: they found a vein for an IV and I was out of the clinic in 2 hours. 
  7. My parents were able to work out a schedule for Boston. My mom will go on the 15th and help with the babies in Boston while my dad will stay here for the transplant. He will then fly to Boston on the 22nd to meet my mom. She will fly back the 26th and he'll stay until the 1st, thereby giving Tim and Corinne and the babies the support they need and us the support we'll need. The best part: Delta waived all their change ticket fees when my dad told them the reason for the change.
  8. My (wonderful awesome fun cool and fan of the blog) Aunt Deanne, who lives in Oregon, is coming for a week after the transplant. She will be here the days both my parents are in Boston and is willing to do whatever to help out me and Liz. She happened to have a plane ticket she needed to use and was excited when my mom asked her if she'd be willing to come. Aunt D always makes life more enjoyable when she comes to visit, so I have no doubt this will be any different. 
  9. My job is a miracle. The people I work with make it even more so. I couldn't ask for a better place to work in the midst of all this. And I couldn't ask for better colleagues. 
See what I mean? Miracle kidney. A lot of people have been asking me what they can do for me. Right now, the most important thing is just to pray to whatever or whoever you believe in and ask for the miracles to continue. I've always had a peaceful, easy feeling about this transplant; I honestly believe it's what's supposed to happen, and everything will be fine. The other thing you can do, should you be so inclined, is to come visit me when I'm in the hospital. You'd be amazed how much faster the days will go by if I have all my lovely friends visiting me. And I'll be on a morphine drip so it's pretty guaranteed to be a good time. 

For now, we're looking at 11 more days and 5 more dialysis treatments. Between now and then I have a dentist appointment, a hair appointment, transplant clinic to meet with the surgeon, pedicures with Steph, taking my kitty to be spayed and declawed, and 5 more days of work. It's going the be the fastest and longest 11 days of my life. Thank you again for all the love and support. I love you with all my (future) kidney. 


  1. Very cool. Thank you for sharing.

  2. That really does sound like a lot of miracles pulling together for this. Pretty exciting. Thinking of you Sarah.

  3. Can I get in on that morphine drip? Cause then it'll REALLY be a fun time!

    Love you cuz!