For most of the time I was in New York, Sofia was my charge. Her full name - Sofia Antonietta - is bigger than she is. Sofia is a miniature Chihuahua. She, like Carla on Scrubs, is Dominican and Nick rescued her and brought her back to New York.
I was a bit nervous to take care of her because I've never cared for a dog. Or owned a dog. Or lived in a house where a dog also lived. And let's face it, I'm a cat person. Nick received approximately one million texts from me full of questions. His instructions were pretty simple: Don't let her sleep with you on the bed, walk her twice a day, make sure she has food and water, don't let her die.
See how skeptical and afraid she looks?
I had many thoughts, questions, and concerns over the course of the week:
- Is that thing in the bathroom a wee pad?
- Why is she so scared of other dogs?
- When she sees another dog at the end of the block, why does she instantly want to run inside?
- WHY WON'T SHE GO TO THE BATHROOM WHEN I WALK HER???
- Is it normal that she shakes all the time?
- Why does she keep trying to lick me?
- How do you get this damn harness on??
- Is that a tiny pile of pooh in the kitchen?
- How many times am I going to gag when I clean it up?
- Will that result in me puking?
- Better put this gate in the doorway.
- We just came back from a walk, and NOW she goes to the bathroom on the wee pad.....
- Yes, you may sit in my lap, Sofia.
- Where are there more poo bags?
- What the hell is she chewing on?
- How did she get my razor??
- Is the fact that she's been chewing on the handle of my razor going to kill her?
- Well, she seems fine....
- Why does she pee a little when she gets excited?
- Why is she so excited when I come home?
- Does she have a really weak bladder?
- Why is she looking at me so despondently? ("that's the way her face looks" - Nick)
- Did she just pee in the bed?
- No, she's just exceptionally warm.
- She sure snorts a lot. Should I be concerned she does that instead of barking?
- We just came in from a brief walk because you got scared, Sof, why do you want to go right back out?
- Seriously, stop trying to lick me.
- It's a downpour outside, I just got a flash flood warning on my phone. I think this is a poor time for a walk.
- (She's totally into watching Iron Man while I pack)
- Fine sir, I will not patronize this deli if I can not bring this tiny dog in while I order.
- I wonder if she'd fit in my purse?
- Dogs require so much more attention than cats.
- We've been playing fetch for like 45 minutes but sure, we can keep it up if you're still into it.
- Get out of my suitcase.
- (She barks twice as Carly and I leave the apartment because she loved Carly so much. Only time she barked all week.)
- No, you may not have any of my sandwich. I'm not sure that's okay with your dad.
- Thanks for keeping me company this week.
Monday rolled around and I said goodbye to Sofia. She is a very sweet little dog and I was glad of her company while I was in New York alone.