Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Best Of: 2013 Edition

It's the last day of 2013, which means every blog in the land is going to have a "year-end review" or a "recap" or "reflection" post today. This is no different. I posted a "Best Of" list last year because 2012 was a very good year for me and I wanted to remember that later when I have really awful years.

But I kind of like the "Best Of" concept. I think it's a better thing to reminisce on all the good things that happened in a year than focus on all the horrible ones, so maybe this will become an annual deal.

This year I realized that being a single, gainfully employed adult could be a very good thing. I traveled a lot (for me, anyway) and read a lot of books and saw a lot of movies. I like to see the creativity people have and how they put it forth for the masses. So there might be a lot more creative-type entertainment-things on this list than say, personal things.

Without further explanation or hesitation, here is my Best Of: 2013 Edition

Books
  • The Boys of My Youth by Jo Ann Beard
  • Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
  •  Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
  •   The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
  • The Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing by Melissa Bank
  • In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
  • The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Music
  • Lorde -  Pure Heroine
  • Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience Part 1 (mostly) & Part 2 (mostly)
  •  The Hunger Games: Catching Fire soundtrack
  • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty soundtrack
  • The Great Gatsby soundtrack
  • A Great Big World (feat. Christina Aguilera) - Say Something (single)
  • Jay Z featuring Justin Timberlake - Holy Grail (single)
  • Emeli Sandé - Next to Me (single)
Movies
  • The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
  • The Way Way Back
  • The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
  • Girl Most Likely
  • Star Trek Into Darkness
  • American Hustle   
  • About Time
  • Iron Man 3
Food
  • Pain au chocolat from Bosie Tea Parlor
  • Artichoke crusted filet medallions from Brio
  • Goat cheese and spinach quiche from Bosie
  • Lobster bisque from Legal's Sea Food
  • Lobster roll from Dairy Keen
  • P.B.L.T.A tacos from Taqueria 27

Moments
  • Mastering the New York subway system/navigating the Times Square station by myself and not asking anyone how to get to my train
  • Being in Fenway Park for Big Papi's grand slam in the 8th inning of Game 2 of the ALCS 
  • Rosie sitting on my lap while I watched Man of Steel on demand (notice it is NOT on the Movies list)
  • Jennifer Lawrence winning an Oscar
  • Forcing myself to stay at Sarah Lawrence for the writers seminar
  • Maggie running into the living room saying "Sarah!" in her 19 month-old vernacular
  • Lawrence Weschler telling me my book would get published and there'd be a book tour
  • Utah football beating BYU for the fourth straight year and then beating #5 Stanford
  • Sitting on the rooftop of Jane Hotel with Nick and the super moon, talking about life and plans at 2 a.m. while looking at the lights on the Hudson
  •   Kate's face when I took her to the Taylor Swift concert and Taylor appeared on stage and started singing
  • Picking up Thomas and him giving me a hug
  • Claire showing me her loot from her other grandma and Zack's reaction to Batman mittens
  • AJ playing his cello in church
  • Realizing I have a life plan
Photos

Rosie

In the West Village, NYC

Fenway Park, ALCS Game 2
Walden Pond - don't worry, I know those guys


Newport Beach
On the main drag in Lexington, Mass

 



















I bid 2013 adieu and welcome 2014 and all it's unknown with hope and courage and a little preemptive heartbreak. May 2014 bring you all such good luck.

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of a Best Of list-- like you said, remember the good times! Every book on your list that I've read, I adored. I've only read 3 of them but they were awesome. I will refer to your list when I'm finished with Harry Potter (I know, I'm like 10 yrs behind, but I figured it was something I had to do as an English teacher). I've only seen one movie on your list-- The Way Way Back-- but it was so so good. And Lawrence Weschler is right. Love you cuz.

    ReplyDelete