Monday, July 20, 2009

Changes

A very wise man once said, "Some things will never change."  Well, all my respect to 2Pac, but he was very wrong.  Things change all the time.  I believe Arby's once stated that "Change is good!".  No offense to Arby's (although their roast beef makes me sick) but not all change is good.  And you may be wondering what all these pop culture references have to do with anything, well, I'll tell you.  In the last month, a lot of things in my life have changed.  I find I don't do overly well with change.  Though this is going to be a change that will lead to the next adventure in my life, I'm not sure I like it yet.
I've been accepted to live in the O.C. Tanner Humanities House at the University of Utah.  This means I'm moving out of the apartment I love, where I've lived the last 15 months of my life.  I'm sad to leave it.  When I'm home alone, I walk around in the silence of these old walls and take it in.  The red accent wall in the living room, the French doors leading to the stairwell, the built-in china cabinet in the dining room, the hardwood floors... I love it here.  I don't want to leave, but this is a change I must make and I know that it has to happen.  So I'll leave the 2 sets of steep stairs, my lovely black and white couch, and the perfect singing window in my closet (think "Enchanted").  Soon I'll live in an 1870's house that has housed military officers and Olympic Athletes and now the finest students at the University of Utah.  11 strangers, picked to live in a house... find out what happens when people stop being polite, and start getting real.  (Sorry, I can't stop with the pop culture!)
It's going to be a strange world not living with my best friend Stephanie.  But we're both doing what we have to do, and between our schedules, we'd never see each other anyway except for when we'll make time to see each other once school starts.  I have a lot of on campus responsibility this year (Student Alumni Board, Homecoming Committee, LDSSA Campus Relations, Senior Class Vice President).  Between meetings, class, work, and tutoring, it only makes sense to live on campus too.  Still, I'm going to miss the dancing in the kitchen, Steph "stretching" as soon as I walk out of my room, watching Disney Channel on Sunday afternoons and laughing at all the jokes... I'll miss it all very much.  Just like I'll miss Steph very much.  
Sometime change is good.  Sometimes change is excellent, exactly what needs to happen, something you can't wait to have happen... that doesn't mean it's always easy.  Then again, nothing worth having is ever easy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment